Yes! You can import a CSV of people data into Planning Center People. Once imported, all of your applications (Giving, Registrations, Check-Ins, etc) will be able to access those people and information.
Planning Center has a list of accepted fields, but if you have custom data for your people in that CSV, you might need to add custom fields, so there's a place to put all the data you are trying to import. Ensure there's a place in Planning Center People for all that data before importing the CSV.
If you already have some people that exist in Planning Center, you can still complete the import. If the person's first name, last name, given name, and name suffix match the record already on file, the system will recognize the duplicate and update their information instead of creating a new person.
Though the CSV importer can generally only import data with one value for each person, it can also import households, where there are multiple people in each household. Create a Household ID column in your CSV, and link family members together with numbers or letters.
Here are some examples:
- Everyone with "Smith Household" in the Household ID column will be placed in a Household together.
- Everyone with "1" will be also be placed together.
It doesn't matter what the actual household value is; as long as they match, they'll be placed in the same household. The Household will automatically be named based off of the last name of the first person added to the Household.
Currently, there is no way to automatically import donation history or giving data of any kind.
We are working on a feature that allows the import, but until that feature is created, you have three options:
- When you make the switch to Giving, issue two end-of-year statements to you donors: one from your old system and one from Giving. If you can export a record of past donations from your old system, you can keep this as a record outside of Giving.
- Create a payment source for your old system, and manually enter donations in batches as a lump sum for overall giving for each donor or itemized donations for each donor.
- Build an integration between your current system and Planning Center Giving using the open API.
Attendance is taken in Groups and Check-Ins, but there's not a way to automatically import attendance in either application.
In Groups, you cannot import attendance, but you can easily assign group members from your CSV import after you create your group.
- Create a custom field to hold the name of the group and import your CSV.
- Create a list of all the people in that group custom field.
- Perform an action to add all the members to the group.
Events exist in Resources, Registrations, Check-Ins, Groups, and Services. None of the applications allow you to import events because an event can have multiple repeating patterns.
Any event you want to have in the database must be created in the appropriate application.